The new Mercedes-Benz E-Class estate - Intelligent (E)state-of-the-art
• Functional: top values for load capacity and ease of operation
• Safe: nine airbags as standard, plus innovative driver assistance systems
• Comfortable: adaptive damping and self-levelling rear suspension
• Powerful: ten engines with more output and lower consumption
From November 2009, Mercedes-Benz will be expanding its family of E-Class vehicles by adding another highly distinctive model: the new estate. Just like the saloon and coupe, the new estate combines unique design with leadership in safety, comfort, quality and practicality. The new E-Class marks the debut of a number of technical innovations which no other car in the world in this category is able to offer — from drowsiness detection to automatic emergency braking when an accident is recognised as being imminent, and from Adaptive Highbeam Assist to the Active Bonnet. Naturally the new estate also features all these innovations. In addition, it also features air suspension with self-levelling at the rear as standard as well as unique innovations with regard to load compartment management features.
Design: New Mercedes hallmarks combined with E-Class styling features
The new estate immediately makes an athletic and practical, but also effortlessly superior and safe impression. The profile displays many new elements and leaves no room for doubt about the new estate's identity. The B and C-pillars appear to merge into the background thanks to glossy, black trim panels, making the entire side window area look like a single entity. The intriguing design of the door sill panels, which are visually understated in the centre but feature a prominent light-catching contour towards the wheel arches, accentuates the dramatic overall effect of the side aspect. This is additionally emphasised by the muscular, sweeping line on the rear side panel in front of the rear wheels.
When shaping the rear end, the Mercedes designers concentrated on highlighting the estate's high levels of practicality. They did this by emphasising horizontal lines, for example the band formed by the tail lights and the chromed tailgate handle. The new LED tail lights are based on a two-piece design and create a visual continuation of the side wall into the tailgate. Both by day and night, their distinctive design makes it easy to recognise the E-Class estate.
Practicality: Top marks for load capacity and ease of operation
If the vehicle has to be loaded from the rear, the standard EASY-PACK tailgate can be opened automatically using the ignition key or manually by pressing the handle. The innovative “Quickfold” system enables the rear seat backrests to be folded down from the load compartment. Neither the head restraints nor the rear-seat cushions need to be adjusted beforehand in order to do this. The two backrest sections are unlocked and folded down by a cable pull, creating a level loading surface. As another useful feature, either the left of right backrest sections, or both together, can be folded down. This enables the rear seat unit to be used by passengers even when long and bulky items are being carried. The backrest sections can also be unlocked and folded down from the side.
The new E-Class estate sets a new standard in its class for the size of its load capacity, which has a volume of up to 1,950 litres (length/width/height: 4,895/1,854/1,471 millimetres). An exemplary load management system is specified as standard. Examples of this system include the automatically opening and closing EASY-PACK tailgate and the EASY-PACK folding load compartment floor. The latter considerably increases the usable height of the load compartment. It can be folded up and secured in various positions. Standard equipment also includes the EASY-PACK load compartment cover with a load securing net. The optional folding bench seat for the load compartment is also unique in this vehicle segment.
Suspension: Automatic self-levelling at the rear as standard
Outstanding long-distance driving comfort is ensured in the estate by the all-new DIRECT CONTROL suspension with adaptive damping system as standard. Thanks to the likewise standard self-levelling rear suspension, the estate always remains at the same level, even when fully laden. The tuning of the estate’s chassis has been adapted to the modified body geometry. The shock absorbers and the torsion bar stabilisers have been somewhat upgraded, making the vehicle just as agile as the saloon without sacrificing rolling comfort.
Engines: Considerable reduction in fuel consumption and emissions
A range of new engines and numerous improvements to, for example, aerodynamics, weight, energy management and rolling resistance, have substantially reduced the new estate’s fuel consumption and emissions. An overview of all the available engines at the market launch:
• E 220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY: 4-cylinder in-line, 2143 cm³, 125 kW/170 hp, 5.8 l/100 km, 150 g/km, 6-speed manual transmission, from €44,803.50
• E 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY: 4-cylinder in-line, 2143 cm³, 150 kW/204 hp, 5.8 l/100 km, 150 g/km, 6-speed manual transmission, from €47,719.00
• E 350 CDI Blue-EFFICIENCY: V6, 2987 cm³, 170 kW/231 hp, 7.0–7.3 l/ 100 km, 185–192 g/km, 7-speed automatic transmission, from €54,204.50
• E 350 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY: V6, 3498 cm³, 215 kW/292 hp, 8.6–8.9 l/ 100 km, 200–208 g/km, 7-speed automatic transmission, from €55,156.50
• E 500: V8, 5461 cm³, 285 kW/388 hp, 11.1–11.2 l/100 km, 258–260 g/km, 7-speed automatic transmission, from €70,150.50
The following engines will be available in the first quarter of 2010:
• E 200 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY: 4-cylinder in-line, 2143 cm³, 100 kW/136 hp, 5.7–n/a l/100 km, 150-n/a g CO2/km, 6-speed manual transmission, from €41,947.50
• E 350 CDI 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY: V6, 2987 cc, 170 kW/231 hp, 7.6–7.7 l/100 km, CO2 200-203 g/km, 7-speed automatic transmission, from €56,941.50
• E 200 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY: 4-cylinder in-line, 1796 cc, 135 kW/183 hp, 7.7-n/a l/100 km, CO2 179-n/a g/km, 6-speed manual transmission, from €42,721
• E 250 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY: 4-cylinder in-line, 1796 cc, 150 kW/204 hp, 8.0-8.2 l/100 km, CO2 185-191 g/km, 5-speed automatic transmission, from €47,719
• E 350 4MATIC: V6, 3498 cc, 200 kW/272 hp, 10.2-10.3 l/100 km, CO2 238-241 g/km, 7-speed automatic transmission, from €56,941.50
(All prices inclusive of 19% VAT)